Tuesday, August 14, 2007

8 Months in the Deaconate

Well, it's been 8 months since my ordination to the Holy Deaconate and what an 8 months it has been! I have not had anytime to get back on to this blog since I have been adjusting to working full time and being a deacon.

I am currently posted at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Scarborough, Ontario. It has been a blessing having been able to spend my first months at the church in which I grew up. I have learned much from my parish priest and from the parishioners who attend on a regular basis. I know realize the daunting task that we face in ministry today and wish I could find a community willing to take on a deacon full time, because the reality is that we desperately need it! One priest in a parish of 300 families cannot do the job. There are only SO many hours in the day and a deacon in every major church would be a great improvement. However, until that day comes, we will have to do our best with the resources we have.

The Metropolitan has recently announced that I will be moved to a new church. Although I do not know which yet, I pray it is a full time position so that I can fully contribute to the life of the church that which I have been prohibited in doing to this point because of my part-time status. I look to the future months with enthusiasm and hope that wherever I am placed, I will be able to help to the best of my ability. That is all I can pray for and that God will give me strength to do His will.

That's it for now. Hopefully I will be back very soon. Till then, take care and God Bless!

No comments: